The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) regulates qualifications, examinations and assessments in England and NAHT meet with Ofqual regularly.
Arrangements for awarding qualifications in 2022
All publications related to awarding qualifications in 2022 can be found here.
Ofqual have recently published their response to the consultation on arrangements for non-exam assessment (NEA) and fieldwork requirements for students entering qualifications in 2022. These include:
- allowing for a range of adjustments to NEA arrangements for certain qualifications to accommodate public health restrictions,
- a number of changes regarding fieldwork in Geography, Geology GCSE, AS and A Levels and Environmental Science AS and A Level to accommodate lost learning time and
- modifications to GCSE English Language and GCSE Modern Foreign Languages qualifications to account for lost learning time, with contingency assessment arrangements for spoken language to be published at a later date.
Ofqual have also published their response to the consultation on awarding VTQs in 2022 which confirms that exams will go ahead. You can find the detail of this consultation here.
Arrangements for awarding qualifications in 2021
In January 2021, the government confirmed that in summer 2021, exams would not be going ahead. General qualifications and some Vocational and Technical qualifications (VTQs) would be awarded based on an assessment of evidence, while other VTQs have other approaches.
- Ofqual launched a tool to explain the approach for individual qualifications.
- Ofqual updated their student guide to awarding for summer 2021 to reflect the Exam Procedure Review Service (EPRS) arrangements.
- Guidance for awarding general qualifications can be found here.
- Ofqual's response to the consultation on the GQ Alternative Awarding Framework can be found here and guidance on the review and appeals process can be found here.
- Guidance regarding the awarding of VTQs in 2021 can be found here.
- Guidance on the EPRS can be found here.
- Ofqual published a blog about what students can expect on results day.
2021 appeals and the autumn exam series
- Information on centre reviews and appeals has been published by JCQ.
- You can find more information about key dates for the autumn series here.
- Information regarding entries to the Autumn series can be found through individual awarding organisations (OCR, AQA, Pearson, WJEC).
- DfE have confirmed the Exam Support Service will be available later this year to provide support for exam fees, the cost of additional venue capacity, additional invigilators and additional invigilator training. You can find more information about this here.
To receive email updates from Ofqual, sign up here.
If you need to get in touch with Ofqual regarding a complaint, you can find their complaints procedure here.
First published 24 August 2021