The Institute of School Business Leadership (ISBL), in partnership with NAHT, ASCL, NGA, Unison and the Department for Education, has released a set of reviewed professional standards for school business leaders (SBLs).
The standards are intended to do the following:
- Set out the core and specialist areas of competence required to be successful in the SBL role
- Assist those currently working in, or aspiring to work in, the SBL role in undertaking their duties as expertly as possible
- Set out the content of both initial and continuing professional development for those entering or developing their career in the profession
- Provide a framework for the development of qualifications and other professional recognition for SBLs.
Alongside the professional standards, ISBL has released complementary guidance aimed at school leaders and governors that supports employers in understanding the role of school business professionals to recruit, develop and appraise these roles effectively.
The guidance provides a summary of the new ISBL professional standards and intends to support those employing SBLs to do the following:
- Assess and identify school business knowledge and skill levels in the organisation
- Support recruitment
- Assist induction
- Support appraisals
- Help shape CPD and SBLs' career pathways.
For head teacher and governance guidance, click here.
For more information on the professional standards, click here.
First published 09 July 2019